Badger Anti-Racist Coalition
We are a group of community engagement professionals at UW who are meeting regularly to advocate and agitate for concrete actions supporting racial justice and equity on campus. We recognize your important leadership and role in this struggle and would like to hear your priorities and align our work with your own. Our current mission includes:
- moving beyond statements of solidarity to campus actions that are anti-racist and work against white supremacy at UW;
- leveraging our power at UW to work towards dismantling white supremacy at our institution and in our community;
- building upon the decades of work by BIPOC-led organizations and aligning our work with their current goals and actions.
An Anti-Racist Rubric for Campus Units
The aim of this project is to help those who populate and guide our departments to organize themselves when asking the question: how are we perpetuating racism and oppression right here in our workplace, and what can we do to change that? We are seeking to establish this rubric as a no-more-excuses route for departments to improve their anti-racist practices. The rubric is written with an emphasis on self-evaluation and the creation of change that is possible within your campus unit. It is in our everyday actions that each of us take steps to dismantle systems of oppression and white supremacy at our institution.
Lead contact: Gavin Luter, email@example.com
We invite you to view our session at the UW-Madison Diversity Forum from November 3, 2021 where three of our members debuted the rubric project and sought feedback as well as campus units to volunteer to pilot the project in Spring 2022.
- October 12, 10:45-11:45am: Toward One Wisconsin conference (web site)
- November 3, 9:00-10:00am: UW-Maidson Diversity Forum (Youtube recording)
Anti-racist Community of Practice
We aim for this CoP to focus on putting anti-racism into practice. Rotating facilitators will provide, and participants are encouraged to share, tools and strategies for pursuing antiracism practices within areas such as, but not limited to, hiring practices, curriculum design, classroom management, office structure, etc. Through this structure we seek to build collective institutional capacity for advancing antiracism and advocating for institutional change.
Lead contact: Cory Sprinkel, firstname.lastname@example.org